At Home with Lauren

Wednesday 20 August 2014



Lauren makes up the other half of The House that Jack Built along with Alison, whose flat I visited previously this month. Lauren's apartment came with her boyfriend Jeff, and she moved in Christmas 2012. It's fair to say she hit the jackpot with Jeff - I only met him briefly, but judging by his flat he's quite the catch. The apartment is unusually large for Paris - I could have easily cart-wheeled around the open living space (had I been so inclined), and on top of that it's located over looking Canal Saint Martin, possibly one of the best positions in Paris.

Situated on the fourth floor it's a light-filled space with three floor-to-ceiling windows, wooden floors and the furniture is a mix of modernist and vintage design pieces, such as an Eames lounge chair and ottoman, Knoll chairs, a vintage traffic light, an old stage light and a beautiful cream Krauss piano. Unsurprisingly it's been used before for various photo shoots, so I was glad to get in there and have a good nose around.

Scroll down for the full interview! 


How would you describe your interior style?
Eclectic, verging on schizophrenic. I love it all.

Favourite piece of furniture?
Jeff’s childhood piano. Especially when it’s being played – this week’s soundtrack has been Hey Jude.

Favourite places/shops to buy for your home?
Every Sunday growing up, my parents would drag my brother and I begrudgingly all over town to find antiques, we used to hate it with a passion. Now, it’s one of my favourite things to do. 

Going to St Ouen is an endless swoon. I also often pop into gallery and bookshop, OFR. They have ever-changing exhibitions and all the fashion, art, design books you could dream of. That’s where Jeff and I bought our first artwork together, a photograph by Mark Borthwick.

For house plants, Bleuet Coquelicot in the 10th. And for organising the ‘behind closed doors’ side to our lives, I swear by Muji.

Interiors/style that have inspired you?
Born in Australia, growing up in South-East Asia, with an English father, now living in Paris – in some way or another, I’m inspired by a plethora of styles, eras, materials, textures & designs from these different cultures.  

If your flat was burning down, what three things would you take with you?
We have a safety rope in case of a fire, so living on the 4th floor, I guess that would be useful. Then, I would take Jeff, because that’s the only way I would know how to use the rope. 
3rd thing? Irreplaceable family photos.

Favourite sources for inspiration
I am a sucker for Pinterest, I could spend hours dreaming my life away on that thing.

Last good book you read?

Breakfast or dinner?
Before going to sleep, I’m already excited for breakfast. I love breakfast so much that I sometimes eat it for dinner.

Evening drink of choice?
Tonight, an Aperol Spritz. But mostly, an Amaretto Sour.

Tea or coffee?
Coffee all the way!!! A single shot quartado. I can never win with tea - it’s always too scorching hot to drink, and then by the time I remember to drink it, it’s too cold.

Bedside table essentials?
A good book, papaw lip balm, hotel slippers, body cream.

How did you find your flat? Any advice for people searching for a flat in Paris?
The flat came with the boy! So find a boy/girl? If all else fails, spread the word. Word of mouth is the best way to find the best secret deals in Paris.

And finally you favourite places in Paris? 
Favourite Cafe : The BrokenArm, place to drink : L’Avant Comptoir in the 6th. I’m still thinking about the Rosé, croquette jambon & porc caramelisé I had there 3 weeks ago and I think the best brunch spot in Paris is: Le Marché des Enfants Rouges

9 comments :

  1. LOVE these photos, they're making me really jealous of Lauren - not only because she's so pretty but she lives right by the Canal St. Martin! My favorite place in the whole world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nana! And I know - such a great location! So after NYC you have to come to Paris ;) xx

      Delete
  2. love her flat, pity that the best way to find one like it is to find the man! mooxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely light space - full of natural lighting, monochrome features and colours that pop due to the white walls <3 very eclectic indeed but is brought together nicely x

    http://fairytaleprettypicture.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you love Brussels, maybe you should take a look :)
    midnight-in-Brussels.blogspot.com

    Nastenka
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Marissa, I've been following you for a while on Instagram and only just have the chance to dip into your blog. I wiled away hours poring over your archive. Your photography is breathtaking. I pop back and forth between the UK and Paris at least twice a year but it's lovely to pick up new places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment and thanks for following along, perhaps we will meet in Paris soon ;) xx

      Delete
  6. The interior design and photography is so unreal. I love the muted pastel kitchen tiles! It's so subtle and chic!

    www.charactersandcarryons.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, nice post!

    Võng tự động hay vong dua tu dong cho em be chắc chắn, may dua vong tu dong dễ di chuyển. Những lợi ích mà máy đưa võng em bé mang lại là vô cùng thiết thực, võng điện cho em bé đang là lựa chọn hàng đầu trong việc chăm sóc con. Bạn có thể tìm mua dua vong tu dong chất lượng, uy tín cao tại máy đưa võng An Thái Sơn – địa chỉ bán may dua vong tốt nhất.

    Chia sẻ bí quyết chống nắng với cà chua hiệu quả, mách mẹ ăn gì để bé hết táo bón hay thực phẩm giúp trẻ hết táo bón hiệu quả, chia sẻ những thực phẩm giúp tóc mọc nhanh hay làm sao để trẻ viết chữ đẹplàm thế nào để dạy con viết chữ đẹp, mách mẹ những mẹo hay giúp trẻ thích uống sữa hay làm thế nào để bé thích uống sữa hiệu quả, cách trị chứng mất ngủ ở trẻ em, chia sẻ các mẹ những trò chơi giúp trẻ thông minh cực đơn giản, mẹo hay giúp trẻ nhanh biết đi hay tập cho bé đi ngủ sớm bằng cách nào, những cách chống nắng cho bé hiệu quả, những thực phẩm giúp bé ngủ ngon mẹ cần biết, chia sẻ cách làm trắng da toàn thân bằng thực phẩm hiệu quả, những món ăn giảm cân cho trẻ béo phì hay món ăn chữa bệnh mất ngủ hiệu quả!

    Những thực phẩm tốt cho tại http://thucphamtotcho.blogspot.com/
    Những thực phẩm tốt cho da tại http://thucphamtotchoda.blogspot.com/
    Chăm sóc da mặt ở http://chamsocdamato.blogspot.com/
    Cách chăm sóc da mặt bằng http://cachchamsocdamatbang.blogspot.com/

    Chúc các bạn ngày mới vui vẻ!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground